Editor’s note: This report was written in June 2020
Since the coronavirus became big news, the following has occurred at this prison in my experience.
1) On 5/19/20 the prison confiscated my walking cane as retaliation even though I need it badly and must use my walker all the time.
2) On June 10, the prison tested all inmates for COVID-19.
3) On June 11, unit one, which has approximately 180 inmates, was quarantined for 14 days.
4) The prison searched my personal area on June 22 and confiscated seven new N95 face masks.
5) I talked to the case worker on June 26 about getting my face masks returned, and he told me the inmates are not allowed to have face masks.
6) Also on June 26, the new warden reduced our yard time by about half.
7) On June 27, all inmates were given two cloth face masks.
Disclaimer: The views in this article are those of the author. Prison Journalism Project has verified the writer’s identity and basic facts such as the names of institutions mentioned.